Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Swing, Swang, Swung...


As we walked across the backyard yesterday, Esther asked if we could swing on the swing set. As much as I wanted her to swing, and for me to push her on the swing..the thought of clearing off the swing, stuffing her snowsuit into the swing, and me standing in 10 inches of snow to push the swing made me have a bad mommy moment and say "no." :-( Then she said, "but isn't it Springtime? - after we swing we can pick flowers!" huh?

As a girl, swinging on the swing set was one of my favorite past-times. I would swing for hours in our backyard on our old striped metal swing set. As I would swing I would sing all of my favorite songs that a 5 year old should know...."You and Me Against the World" "Angie Baby" "Delta Dawn" "I am Woman Hear my Roar" (um, Mom...you REALLY loved Helen Reddy didn't you?)...and I can't forget the Carpenter classics I belted out like "Close to You" and "Top of the World", oh and "Rainy Days and Mondays." To redeem myself and my mom, she also listened to a bit of the Beatle's, so "Yellow Submarine" was also thankfully in my repertoire.

As I watch my girls swing now, I see that same joy in their eyes as they fly through the air. I hope to hear their swinging concerts this Summer....and hope that my taste in music has improved a bit. I just hope I don't hear the musical stylings of Raffi in my backyard.


(some oldies)

1 comment:

Kristi Pohl said...

Thanks for the pictures of green, and sweet little girls! You really do need to add a little Springsteen to their musical line up....

Related Posts with Thumbnails