As kids grow, they become fearful of many things. Sometimes kids are afraid of things and we just can't understand why...things like people they don't know, animals, swimming, riding a bike, monsters in their closets, etc. We have to remember that we can't tell them NOT to be afraid...but just comfort them and help them work through their fears. Fears may seem irrational - but everyone has their own personal fears..and they are very real to them.
Since I deal with our 2 lovely girls and their new/old fears that they have as they grow-up, I thought it would be only fair to share my top ten fears..(in no particular order)...
2. Christopher Walken - sorry the man freaks me out. I would NOT like to meet up with him in a dark alley or even at Cub.
3. Dying before my kids are grown - am I weird or does every mother worry about this?
5. Coconut - yes, this is a fear, not just a dislike...I won't have it in my kitchen, I avert my eyes when I have to go down the aisle it resides in at the grocery store. I get the shakes when I see it has been baked into a desert. Please, whatever you don, DO NOT use it in your carrot cake.
6. Swimming under water - note, I do swim, I can swim, I can swim well, I can probably even save you if needed...but I do get scared if I am underwater too long..it seriously freaks me out. I am currently happy to enjoy the kiddie pool.
8. Someone hiding behind a shower curtain - does anyone else have to check behind the shower curtain when they enter the bathroom - or is it just me?
9. Needles - sorry, I get the seriously shakes, sweats, etc when I have to have a shot - but don't tell my kids this as I totally expect them to be brave for their shots.